Halal means “allowed” or “permitted” under Islamic law. When the term is used in connection with food, trade, or commerce, as an aspect of trading or part of trading for the referred food, it implies that the food is acceptable to be eaten by Muslims and permitted in their religion.
The term Halal, Guaranteed Halal, Muslim Food, or any other terms that may be used translates to the following:
- The food or products (including private label products) do not include any part from animals prohibited by Islamic law for Muslims to consume or animals that have not been slaughtered according to Islamic law.
- There are no substances in this product that are considered impure by Islamic law.
- It is not prepared, processed, or produced using impurity-free equipment or utensils, as specified by Islamic law.
- It does not include any human parts or yield, which Shariah and Fatwa prohibit.
- It isn’t toxic or dangerous to one’s health.
Certification Flow Chart in Malaysia
According to JAKIM (Jabatan Kemajuan Islam Malaysia), Halal Certification is an official document describing the Halal standardization of products and services according to the Malaysian Halal Certification Scheme provided by the authority. The only Halal certification that is accepted in Malaysia is the JAKIM certification.
The Malaysian Halal Certification Program is divided into seven plans, and businesses or manufacturers may choose the plan that best suits their product or service.
The following are the seven plans:
- Consumer Goods
- Food / Beverage / Food Supplement
- Food Premise / Hotel
- Personal Care and Cosmetics
- Pharmaceutical Industry
Malaysian Halal Certification is required for applicants like cosmetic manufacturers or food supplement manufacturers who meet the following JAKIM criteria:
- Registered with SSM, Malaysia Cooperative Committee, or other Government Agencies
- Have a business license issued by a municipal authority or government agency
- Before applying, the business should be fully operational.
- Only Halal goods are produced and processed.
- Make sure there is a Halal food supplier with a Halal certificate that has been accepted.
- Apply to all types of goods produced in the factory or on the premises.
- The repackaging must be accompanied by a Halal Certificate for the items in question.
- Non-Halal goods, no specific references/guides, use of similar Halal and non-Halal product brands, affects religion and society negatively, do not include any refined natural products, fertilizers and animal feed, pottery, Paper, a product with the same name as the Halal product, and hurt religion and society, kitchen or food service based on Islamic law to prepare salad food, an early product development stage, a product may cause aqidah deviation, a product that has not been relabeled in Malaysia through any method, a kitchen or food service based on Islamic law to prepare salad food, and the hotel prepares a pork menu are non-eligible applications.
- Products that do not have a norm or guideline reference may be considered if they meet the following requirements: direct interaction with food; unknown origins of ingredients used; used as food processing aids; certified.
The application must be completed and submitted online, along with the necessary documents and certificates specified below:
- Profile of the company
- Registration of a company or a business
- Name and description of the product/menu for certification
- Ingredients that were used
- Manufacturer’s or ingredient supplier’s name and address
- For essential ingredients, halal status with the halal certificate or product specification (if applicable)
- Material for packaging
- Method and procedure for manufacturing
- Other documents, such as HACCP, ISO, GHP, GMP, TQM, etc.,
- A map of the premise/factory’s location
- The applicant must establish a “Halal Confirmation Certificate” file during the inspection of the premises to store all relevant documents for reference.
An online application for the Halal Confirmation Certificate should be sent to the JAKIM Halal Hub for national and foreign markets.
In a Nutshell
Businesses looking for cosmetic manufacturers or food supplement manufacturers to create their own private label products are able to apply for Halal certification.
The application may look complicated. However, with guidance from an experienced private label products manufacturer, such as Ori Bionature, the process can become a lot easier. For further enquiries, feel free to get in touch with our specialists for a full consultation.
6 thoughts on “Definition of Halal and Certification Flow in Malaysia”
HELLO WE ARE ICE CREAM PRODUCER FROM UZBEKISTAN AND WANT TO GET HALAL CERTIFICATE
CAN YOU HELP
Hi there DILSHOD,
Unfortunately, ORiBionature or ORBCosmex does not offer direct halal licensing services for the F&B industry. Halal license/certificate application is only part of the service for individuals or organizations who are interested in manufacturing their food supplements, skincare, and cosmetics with team ORiBionature/ORBCosmex 🙂 Based on the rules set by the certification body.
We are looking for an agent to apply halal license for our restaurant.
Please whatsapp me 0122866499.
Hi there Roger,
Thanks for dropping your comment on the article! We’re sorry that ORiBionature & ORB Cosmex does not offer direct Halal license(s) to the F&B sector instead it’s part of ORiBionature’s service that every client is entitled to. If your Halal license inquiry is related to food supplements, skincare, and cosmetics, ORiBionature is more than happy to assist you through the entire process.
Assalamu Aleikum Brothers /sisters,
My name is Ahmed Hassan I am the GM of Albert Halal Monitoring organisation , we want to get certification from Malaysia Halal certification organisation Jakim. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. you can reach me at alberthalalmonitorong @gmail.com
Hi there Ahmed,
Thanks for dropping your comment on the article! We’re sorry that ORiBionature & ORB Cosmex does not offer direct Halal license(s) instead it’s part of ORi Bionature/ORB Cosmex’s service that every client is entitled to. If your Halal license inquiry is related to food supplements, skincare, and cosmetics, ORiBionature is more than happy to assist you through the entire process.